Follow by Email

Monday, April 22, 2013

How to Identify Genetically Modified Food


To assist with pricing and inventory control, all produce is labeled with price look-up codes (also referred to as PLU code, product code, or price code).  PLU codes are  4-digit numbers.  Although the PLU code may be prefixed with a 5th digit to indicate if the item is organic, it is not a a reliable tool to identify genetically modified food since use of the prefix is optional.
PLU Codes
Conventionally raised produce has a 4-digit PLU code.  This indicates that ‘chemical inputs’ were used during production (chemical fertilizer, insecticides, fungicides, etc.).  For instance, conventionally raised honey crisp apples are labeled with a PLU of 3283.  Most produce is conventionally raised.
Organically raised food has a 5-digit PLU code with a 9 prefix.  An organically raised honey crisp has a product number of 93283.  While the 5-digit PLU is commonly used, an easier way to identify organic produce is to look for the organic label; organics are usually clearly labeled.n
The PLU code for genetically modified food is 5 digits with an 8 prefix.  A honey crisp apple that is the product of genetic engineering should have a PLU code of 83283, however since use of the 5th digit is optional, and most consumers say they would avoid GM food, producers typically do not use the GM prefix.
No US labeling of GM produce
Don’t bother looking for labels identifying genetically modified produce.  Unlike Europe, China and 50 other countries, the US doesn’t require labeling of GM food.  Some producers identify that their produce is GM-free, but any labeling on food is voluntary and unlikely to be the result of regulation; several states have passed bills forbidding local GM labeling laws.
There are more reliable ways to avoid non-GM crops:
Avoid certain GM food crops
  • The 8 GM food crops are canola, corn, cottonseed, Hawaiian papaya, soybeans, sugar beets, some yellow squash and zucchini.
  • Non-organic products that list sugar in the ingredients list, (not cane sugar), almost certainly contains sugar from GM sugar beets.
  • Non-organic dairy products may be from cows injected with genetically modified growth hormone.
Look for the Organic label
  • Certified organic produce cannot intentionally include GM ingredients.
  • Look for products labeled “100% organic” or “organic” to avoid genetically engineered ingredients.
Use a printed shopping guide
Use a shopping app
  • Download the free Non-GMO Shopping Guide app to your phone.  It provides the same useful information that is available in the hardcopy guide.
While PLU codes offer producers the opportunity to inform consumers, PLU codes should not be used to reliably identify genetically modified food.  Consumers are better off avoiding specific GM food crops, looking for the organic label, and referring to a shopping guide.
(Image: Chiquita #4401, a Creative Commons Attribution (2.0) image from Dawn Huczek photostream)
Tagged with:  •  •  •  •  • 

12 comments:

  1. I know this site provides quality based posts and additional stuff, is there any other site which presents
    these kinds of data in quality?

    Here is my blog; eyelasticity Age-defying eye therapy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's awesome in support of me to have a site, which is valuable designed for my experience. thanks admin

    Feel free to visit my blog ... http://www.amyslodge.com/?q=node/add

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello There. I discovered your blog the usage of msn. That is an extremely
    smartly written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and come back to read
    more of your helpful info. Thank you for the post.
    I'll definitely comeback.

    My webpage tattoo me now

    ReplyDelete
  4. more to do with society's pushing girls toward liberal arts careers in their formative a very long time. Blogger Bert Maes replied it better in his recent post (emphasis

    Take a look at my blog post - attract women

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lori and Michelle!
    I just produced this and remaining it in the fridge for
    tomorrow early morning. Is it breakfast for one particular or
    more? Just noticed that a serving of chia seeds is 1 Tbsp.

    .. Many thanks!

    Also visit my homepage; organic chia Seed

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there! Someone in my Myspace group shared this website with
    us so I came to give it a look. I'm definitely enjoying the information. I'm bookmarking and will
    be tweeting this to my followers! Wonderful blog and brilliant design.


    Here is my site ... ofbuddy.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there, I log on to your blogs on a regular basis.
    Your humoristic style is awesome, keep up the good work!


    Also visit my web-site queensu.ca

    ReplyDelete
  8. what do you have to worry about? you're gorgeous sufficient as it is

    Also visit my page - http://howtodatemultiplewomen.info/

    ReplyDelete
  9. No matter if some one searches for his necessary thing, so he/she wants to be
    available that in detail, therefore that thing is maintained over here.


    My blog post - Libido enhancer

    ReplyDelete
  10. I simply could not leave your site before suggesting that I actually enjoyed the standard info
    an individual provide on your guests? Is gonna
    be again often to investigate cross-check new posts

    My homepage natural collagen production

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whats up this is kinda of off topic but I was wondering if blogs use
    WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML.
    I'm starting a blog soon but have no coding knowledge so I wanted to get advice from someone with experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Also visit my blog post - cream to stop hair growth after waxing

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know this web page gives quality depending content and additional
    stuff, is there any other web page which provides these things in quality?



    My website male enhancement cream products

    ReplyDelete